Pediatric Clinical Nurse Residency Program
Are You Interested in Growing Your Nursing Career?
Join Our Pediatric Clinical Nurse Residency Program
The Pediatric Clinical Nurse Residency (PCNR) program at the Spence and Becky Wilson Baptist Children’s Hospital will guide you step-by-step, helping you develop confidence, skills and experience.
The PCNR program is available to new graduate nurses or experienced nurses desiring a career change to the specialty of pediatrics. This program focuses on the development of pediatric specialized skill sets with hands-on education and sim lab instruction. The PCNR program works to build and provide a strong nursing foundation with opportunities for continuous development.
During the duration of this program, nurses will spend time within the following areas:
- General pediatric inpatient unit
- Pediatric intensive care unit
- Neonatal intensive care unit
- Pediatric emergency department
- Transport services
- Pediatric outpatient services
Program GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Gain an understanding of pediatric nursing or specialty nursing units
- Develop high level of skills, independence, and autonomy in nursing practices
- Gain confidence and expand competencies in professional nursing practices, while being provided continuous support
- Provide a venue for growth, life-long learning and development
Nurses will be expected to attend monthly classes, including cutting-edge simulation experiences, computer-based learning courses and highly specialized unit orientations. We strongly believe and focus on providing professional development through proven educational resources to add to our nurse's skill set. Baptist’s Pediatric Clinical Nurse Residency participants may become certified in the following based on area of focus and unit placement:
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Lab Work and Emotional Support (S.T.A.B.L.E.®)
- Neonatal Resuscitation Provider® (NRP)
- Pediatric Emergency Assessment, Recognition and Stabilization course (PEARS®)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)